Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Activity 1 1/12/11 Scientific Method

Talk about process regarding car that does not start, what do you do?
            My car won’t start; first thing that comes to my mind, the battery is dead. I grab and press the hood release inside my car. The hood pops open, I then have to find the release under the hood to finish opening the hood of my car. Once I finish popping open the hood of my car, I then need to prop it open. Once I have done this I need to go in my trunk and grab my jump start kit. I will them place the jumper cables that are on my jump start kit onto my battery. I need to connect the red positive to the positive post on my battery. I will need to then connect my black negative cable to the negative post on my battery. I then need to try and start my car. WOW, it starts. If it doesn’t start, maybe try and think of how much gas I had left in my tank. Again, if it doesn’t start then I would try and find someone to think of another reason on why the car won’t start.

What is the Scientific Method, explain the process and steps?
             Scientific Method is a set of techniques for investigating something phenomena, acquiring new knowledge, or even correcting and integrating pervious knowledge about a certain topic/item.
            Scientific Method is a way to ask and answer scientific questions by making observations and doing experiments. It is to learn why things happen or why the things are the way that they are. The steps in which to take when using scientific method is (1) ask a question, (2) do background research, (3) construct a hypothesis, (4) test your hypothesis by doing an experiment, (5) analyze your data and draw a conclusion, and (6) communicate your results. “It is important for your experiment to be a fair test. A “fair test” occurs when you change only one factor (variable) and keep all other conditions the same.”


Relate the scientific process to the experiment that you performed on surfaces and liquids.
            The first step I took was asking a question. The question I had to ask myself was how different types of liquids will react when placed on different type of surfaces. I do not believe I did any background research on this topic; I just had to figure out different types of liquids I could use and different types of surfaces that might cause certain liquids to react differently to the material of the surface. The next step in scientific method is to construct a hypothesis; I did not do this, as I did not know what to expect from the different types of materials I was going to be using. Next, I had to test my question with an experiment. I then conducted a experiment with five different liquids on four different type of surfaces. I placed a couple of drops of water, vegetable oil, ethanol (vodka), acetone (nail polish remover), and isopropyl (rubbing alcohol) on different types of surfaces such as glass, metal, cling wrap on metal, and cling wrap on glass. The next step was to analyze the results of my experiment and draw a conclusion.  In order to analyze my results I had to collect data while conducting my experiment. I noticed that some types of liquids did not react differently on different type of surfaces and I also noticed that some liquids reacted completely different on different type of surfaces. Since I did not think of what I thought would happen with the different types of liquids I cannot determine if my experiment made my hypothesis true or false. Last is to report my results; I did this by showing my data I took while conducting my experiment and by understanding that not all liquids react the same way on different types of surfaces but some liquids do react the same on different surfaces.

No comments:

Post a Comment