Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Activity 2 1/12/11 DHMO

Would you give DHMO to your mother? Use scientific method to determine why you decided not to give it to her? http://dhmo.org/facts.html#CONCERN
            No, I would not give DHMO to my mother.
           
Do you think the government should research (spend money) to better understand health effects of DHMO?
            Yes, I do believe that the government should research (spend money) to better understand the health effects of DHMO, but I do not believe that they will as the government seems to continue the use of it for many different reasons and they continue to allow companies to create products that contain DHMO.

Focus on the DHMO for you mother question, and tie your process for answering this question to the scientific process.
Question: Would I give DHMO to my mother? NO!
            Background research: colorless and odorless chemical compound, used to mutate DNA, denature proteins, disrupt cell membranes, and chemically alter critical neurotransmitters. DHMO is a constituent of many known toxic substances, diseases and disease agents, environmental hazards, and can even be lethal to humans in quantities as small as a thimbleful. Has been used in making home-brewed bombs, has been used in WWII prison camps as a form of torture. It’s found in about everything we use, touch, eat, etc.
            Hypothesis: If giving my mother certain amounts of DHMO then she will have many health problems?
                        By doing research on DHMO, it really gets me thinking of the different health problems that can be caused because of DHMO. It seems as if DHMO has some positive influences on it such as it improves athletic performance, but then I would have to weigh the consequences of DHMO. Just by knowing that DHMO has been used as a torture device and is used to make home-brewed bombs sticks out to me. If this chemical is being used for things like this then obviously I do not see how it could have an upside to having many positives.
            Test: Use data by the impacts of certain amounts of DHMO and how it effects people in different dosages. I do not believe it should be done on humans or animals that are like humans. If you did test rats or something it might not give same results as if a person was exposed to DHMO.
                        After doing more research, I do not believe the government really should because I do not believe there would be anyone or any animal that should be put through any tests to determine the effects of DHMO.
            

No comments:

Post a Comment